suffolk, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
  1. Tim Martin vs Owen Jones

https://www.theguardian.com/global/v...uestions-video

Great video clip neatly sums up all that is wrong about almost everything, Owen Jones sneering at success, then talking to other people sneering at Wetherspoons customers. Finally Wetherspoons customers, drinking cheap ale at Wetherspoons complaining about Tim Martin getting rich and not paying his staff enough.

I don't like Tim Martin, but you can't deny that he has been very successful, and despite my snobbery, to quote Simon & Garfunkel, "I must admit, I took some refuge there". In many towns they are the only place with a decent pint.

2. YOUR COMMENTS:

3. Formby Wetherspoons is really rather posh.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post
    I don't like Tim Martin, but you can't deny that he has been very successful
    I'd go along with that.

He seems to be the media's only go to businessman for Brexit views now that Dyson has shown his true colours.

I can't understand what he has against the EU businesswise. His decision to replace European products with others has a smell of Europhobia about it. Much in keeping with the political leaders of Brexit although he might upset many Tories if he keeps selling Russian vodka.

5. My t'other half spent 6 hours with three farming girlfriends last week and didn't spend £20 each. Twelve Tellers at Preston. Many of the sites are excellent. Get what you pay for and good value

Reported by: Lamparilla
    It seems to be a British trait to knock successful people.

I don't subscribe to Tim Martin's political views and I don't think he should use his pubs as soap boxes (although he has every right to do so) to peddle his agenda.

But there's no denying that his formula has been a great success and has been of benefit to those who want to go out for a no-frills meal and drink.

Martin has always said that his pubs pay the same for beer as other pubs, the difference being that Wetherspoons "make a quick sixpence" when other pubs "make a slow shilling". I don't know whether that's true or not, but it seems to be the same philosophy as Sir Jack Cohen's "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap".

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    It seems to be a British trait to knock successful people.

I don't subscribe to Tim Martin's political views and I don't think he should use his pubs as soap boxes (although he has every right to do so) to peddle his agenda.

But there's no denying that his formula has been a great success and has been of benefit to those who want to go out for a no-frills meal and drink.

Martin has always said that his pubs pay the same for beer as other pubs, the difference being that Wetherspoons "make a quick sixpence" when other pubs "make a slow shilling". I don't know whether that's true or not, but it seems to be the same philosophy as Sir Jack Cohen's "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap".
    I've heard that Wetherspoons are vey tight on the prices paid, they want big discounts on volume and if you don't comply you get frozen out.

Reported by: Lamparilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I've heard that Wetherspoons are vey tight on the prices paid, they want big discounts on volume and if you don't comply you get frozen out.
    Yes, that's the common belief (or urban myth?). but Tim Martin is on record as saying that he pays the same as other pubs.

So either he's lying, or it may be a case of sour grapes from his competition. There was a case a few years ago in the annual Christmas supply of those large tins of Quality Street, Cadbury's Roses etc. One of the major suppliers (possibly Nestle?) refused to supply Tesco because they were undercutting other supermarkets - so Tesco were buying at the same price as everyone else, but selling on a lower margin.

I'm not a Tim Martin supporter, but unless somebody can prove that Wetherspoon do this, who knows? In any case, even if they do, the brewers don't have to supply Wetherspoons if they don't want to. The same applies in Aldi and Lidl - you don't see the big brands in there, presumably because the manufacturers won't supply at the prices that Aldi and Lidl want.

9. Sport

I've read that 'Spoons buy large volumes of beer that's close to the sell-by date. Selling it cheaply means it'll go quickly enough. I don't mind the pubs. You know what you're getting, the food isn't great, but it's cheap.

The daytime clientele are usually quite 'colourful', as seen in that video. Neither Martin nor Jones covered themselves with glory in the interview. Martin not being able to point out a single EU law he didn't like. Jones not pursuing that, so switching to employees pay instead. While there is a case to answer for on the pay front, it wasn't the reason for the interview.

It would have made an interesting change for a businessman Brexiteer to actually spell out his reasons for wanting to leave in detail, instead of the usual 'EU Bad' grunts.

10. Wetherspoons pay their (largely unskilled) staff the same as most other retailers: minimum wage. I'd rather pull pints for £8 an hour than wipe people's backsides in a care home.

It would be nice if they'd pay the Living Wage instead but I'm sure the result would be increased prices, not a cut in Mr Martin's profits.

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Suffolk
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in suffolk
Replacement Stove Glass in suffolk
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
suffolksuffolk News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)